You can enhance your home’s beauty, character, and value by installing a residential fence. In addition to offering instant privacy and security for your children and pets, a fence can also provide you with peace of mind. However, before you invest in a fence, you should consider several factors, such as the type of fence material you intend to use. Natural wood suffers from limitations that pressure-treated wood overcomes. The following factors should be taken into consideration if you are considering using pressure-treated lumber.
- Strong and Durable: High-quality pressure-treated lumber is strong and resistant to scratches and dents, making it ideal for long-term use.
- Affordability: The cost of pressure-treated wood is usually lower than that of other materials such as stone, concrete, aluminum, and steel. Compared with redwood and cedar, it’s also 30% – 40% cheaper.
- Resistant to Moisture: Unlike natural wood, pressure-treated lumber will not soften and slowly decompose as time goes by.
- Fungus Resistant: There are many types of fungi that can feed on moisture in natural wood, whereas pressure-treated lumber is not susceptible to fungi.
- Pest Resistant: Wood can become weakened when insects bore into it, resulting in structural issues. Wood-boring insects and wood-damaging insects won’t cause damage to pressure-treated lumber.
- Resilient to Fire: Fire damage is one of the greatest threats to the wood of any type. Using flame retardant, pressure-treated lumber in areas where fire risks may increase, such as outdoor kitchens, grilling areas, or fireplaces, makes sense.
- Risks from chemicals: Since pressure-treated wood is chemically treated, it should not be used near your garden because it may come into contact with water and food.
- Wood shrinkage and warping: Pressure-treated wood takes several months to dry completely, so there will be some shrinkage and warping during this time.
- Requires maintenance: Staining the wood annually is essential to prevent fading, checking, splintering, and softening.
Finding the Right Fence Contractor
It is essential to partner with skilled professionals who know how to install and craft wood fences. Ensure that the company you choose has plenty of experience, and references, and is familiar with state, local, and community building codes and specialized tools. Buckhead Fence Company has been installing elegant fences for residential and commercial properties in the Atlanta area for over a decade. We have over 10 years of fence installation experience. To begin your wood fence project, call Buckhead Fence Company at (470) 431-0079 or use our contact form